Wednesday, April 21, 2010

21st April 2010

Wednesday 21st April

Well day off today so decided I would book a taxi and go back to Santa Cruz with the intention of finding the area that the reports call Santa Cruz creek the information that I have is a bit vague so I have plotted on the web map what I think is where I want to be so we set off at 07-00 hours on arriving at Santa Cruz the driver asked where we go first so I said we try and find the creek so with a sketch map I took from the net we set off got it slightly wrong (nothing new there then) but after talking to some young men we did find where I had pin pointed on the map and yes I am sure this is where we should be so on with the report
After getting out of the car I did a quick scan of the area and thought I will be spending some time here a few Intermediate Egrets, Little Egrets, Great White Egrets and Indian Pond Heron to start with I then walked along the road for about 150 yards ( sorry not going to do it in metres) and found some shade under some trees it is now only a quarter to eight and the heat is getting up I could hear waders calling now this is what I had come here for first wader I saw was Ruff then it took over half a hour to find some more the vegetation is high so to see the birds it is best to concentrate on one area this I did I then had 2 Pintail Snipe which I watched for about 10 minutes then another bird appeared from the right this turned out to be a Jack Snipe then I continued to walk down the road where I had both the Kites these are the most common raptors that I see on a daily basis and have to say the numbers are good (If I can not identify a Black Kite after being out here for 3 months then I should give up birding that’s meant to be a joke) so what next well the only way to see anything is just scan a area on doing so I found a White Breasted Water hen ( will tell you all about my first one later) right lets continue birding the time now is only half past eight I then walked back down the road and found some shade under a tree just off the road quite a busy road so to be able to get away from the traffic was nice (I’m now getting to see the same people and getting the same greeting every time Good Morning Papa ) at least the dogs are used to me I then spent over a hour scanning and picking up a few waders Wood Sandpiper, Green Sandpiper then a small flock arrived I got on 4 off them and they are one of the smartest waders to watch Marsh Sandpiper while I spent some time watching them some more waders joined them 2 went out of sight but the other 2 came a bit closer and turned out to be Terek Sandpiper so my Goa list is increasing I have now added 2 to the list could it get better well the answer was yes a stork flew over and put up a good flight show this turned out to be a Lesser Adjutant yes another one to the list which at this point stands at 143 I also had a common Kingfisher perch on a rock briefly so after watching the waders for a while I decided it was time to visit the paddy fields on arriving about nine 50 I noticed that there where not that many Egrets or Indian Pond Herons as on previous visits so was a bit concerned of what I might see but I continued down the path still plenty to see and hear White Breasted Kingfisher where calling Common Myna then sitting on the wires a Stork Billed Kingfisher plenty of kites but no other raptors today I walked along the path as normal just the same birds not a wader in sight until I was on my return to the car only wader I had was a Little Stint so ending a very enjoyably mornings birding and the list now stands at 144

1 comment:

Eagleseagles said...

Great - Marsh and Terek - sounds like a good place - even if you have to work a bit for the birds!

That list is growing nicely!

C