Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Monday 29th Wraysbury & Sunnymeads Pits

Spent yesterday (29th) at one of my old haunts Wraysbury & Sunnymeads Pits it has been quite a while since I have been to these pits and there where quite a few changes. This was one of the first sites that you could see Ringed necked Parrakeets Leaving the station I started by walking to the Sunnymeads pits first and spent quite a bit of time here it was very quite people wise not a soul just me and nature. As I walked the mile or so scanning the pits I had a lone fox on the path ahead of me, This used to be a good spot for Smew but sadly no smew today plenty of ducks to watch and small birds in the bushes. I then walked back and had a look at the main Wraysbury pit again plenty of ducks but still no Smew. Then I walked back to the station and took the path along side the railway I crossed the railway and had a look at the pit to my right where I found 1 male & 2 female Goosander but not a lot else. Then I took the path that leads to the heron pits again plenty of ducks to watch and more RNP. I did find 4 male & 3 female Goleneye, then I returned to the station by now it was getting colder, so the thought of getting on a nice warm train was just what I needed but when I got to the station I find the train is delayed due to a fatality at the station I was heading for (New Malden) this would be the 6th fatality that has held me up this year But still a very quite and pleasant walk

The full list of birds seen is as follows
Mute Swan.....................................Woodpigeon
Canada Goose................................Collared Dove
Mandarin.......................................Grey Wagtail
Wigeon ..........................................Wren
Teal ................................................Robin
Mallard ..........................................Blackbird
Shoveler .........................................Fieldfare
Pochard .........................................Goldcrest
Tufted Duck ..................................Long-tailed Tit
Goldeneye ......................................Blue Tit
Goosander .....................................Great Tit
Great Crested Grebe .....................Nuthatch
Cormorant .....................................Magpie
Grey Heron ....................................Jackdaw
Sparrowhawk ................................Carrion Crow
Kestrel ............................................Starling
Moorhen ........................................Chaffinch
Coot ................................................Greenfinch
Black-headed Gull .........................Linnet
Common Gull .................................Lesser Redpoll
Rock Dove / Feral Pigeon

No comments: