Monday, March 8, 2010

Friday / Saturday / Sunday In Goa

Friday 05-03-2010

Last night on the way back we went to see if we could find the easy way to watch Pilerne Lake after asking someone for directions we found it you get out the car and have a walk of 20 feet so will be going back again

This morning did a retune trip to Morjim Beach but this time I spent it looking at the scrub and bushes behind the beach cafes and bars birds seen included Red wattled P)lover, House Crow, Large Billed Crow, Oriental Skylark, Pied Kingfisher, Paddyfield Pipit I had a scan of the see where I found Lesser Crested Tern plus the usual gulls the two kites where seen also seen and White Breasted Kingfisher, Red- Rumped , Swallow, Common Myna, Barn Swallow, Dusky Craig Martin then just before I returned to the car I found a Indian Robin so another good mornings birding
on the way back to Anjuna tonight I had Blue Tailed Bee Eater,House Swift,Common Kestrel and Red Necked Falcon so ending another day in Goa.

On the way back from the bar to my loggings I had Spotted Owlet

Saturday 06-03-2010

I mentioned to my driver last week that I would like to go on one of the river trips one of his friends run these trips so today we set of for old Goa where I boarded a boat for what turned out to be a great 3 hours on the Zuari River and creeks the main thing you are looking for is Mugger Crocodile bird wise this is a trip for Kingfishers there are 6 to see if you are lucky as we set of I had the Black & Brahminy Kites it was bit quiet for the first half hour then as we got into some of the creeks it livened up White Breasted Kingfisher followed by Common Kingfisher then after about a hour we found a crocodile in the water you could just see its head we carried on and had Pied Kingfisher and then I found a Whimbrel, Redshank, Greenshank, we also had Little Egret, Great White Egret, Cormorant, The captain was very good at pointing things out then he says Collared Kingfisher (target bird for me) had good views but no picture as it then flew off as we continued on I had Western Reef Heron and sitting on a low branch a Black Crowned Night Heron and then what was to be the final Kingfisher of the day Stork Billed Kingfisher so giving me 5 of the 6 not bad over head we had a small thermal of Black Kites, Then the captain said crocodile on the bank as the boat pulled up alongside there it was all 6 meters of it I have some video of this I will put it up when I’m back in the UK so as everyone was happy it was back to shore and what a very pleasant way to spend three hours

Sunday 07-03-2010

Today I went to Lake Mayem and really got to grips with a lot of the birds I have been listening to and some I got better sights of as the driver wanted to take me to the lake’s edge we finally found our way in we ended up driving along a track then had to stop and do the rest on foot of about ¾ of a mile and find our way to the edge where I had Red Wattled Plover, White Browed Wagtail, White Breasted Kingfisher, Little Cormorant, Rock Pigeon, now ¾ mile would normally take me about 15 minutes to walk this took me over 2 hours as the birds came thick and fast the track had a lot of paths leading of it you only had to go a short way up each one you then came to a clearing where you could look down the hillside so getting views of the birds in the top canopy of the trees well let’s start the following list includes birds seen today and those from the past week that I have finally identified Red Whiskered Bulbul, Red Vented Bulbul,White Browed Bulbul, White Eared Bulbul, Asian Brown Flycatcher, Purple Sunbird, Great Coucal, Puff Throated Babbler, Yellow Eared Babbler, Lolen’s Sunbird, Oriental White Eye, White Bellied Drongo, Small Minivet, Asian Koel, Banded Bay Cuckoo, Green Bee-Eater, Coppersmith Barbet, Jungle Myna, Palm Swift, Common Iora, Common Woodshrike, Orange Headed Thrush, Earasian Blackbird, Brown Shrike, Rufus Treepie, Black Hooded Oriole, Black Headed Cuckooshrike, Malabar Whistling Thrush, Baya Weaver, Plum Headed Parakeet, Rose Ringed Parakeet, Yellow Fronted Green Pigeon, then on the way back we stopped at Chilli Anroma as I had noticed a few pools on the way here I found a small reed bed where I found Clamorous Reed Warbler, Blyth’s Reed Warbler, we then continued to Anduna after short while we came across some birders watching a area at the side of the road they were watching Yellow Wattled Plover nice to see another only my second so far other birds seen on the way back House Crow, Intermediate Egret, Black Drongo, Common Myna, Both Kites,

This evening I went for a stroll on the edge of Anduna where I had more White Breasted Kingfishers, Cattle Egret, Black Kite, Tawny Eagle, Common Kestrel, Rock Pigeon,

No comments: