Wednesday, March 3, 2010

My First bit of Birding In Goa

Been in Goa just over a week have been busy most of the time but have done some birding as It looks like I might be out here for a while after this three weeks I decided to go birding on my own rather than book a guide, I have arranged with a taxi driver to take be to some of the spots that I am aware of from reading trip reports found on the net (Let me just say here that if you come to Goa and only have limited time I would suggest that you use a local guide) this takes me back to the beginning of my birding days trying to work out calls (must see if I can find any on disc) and identification but I am slowly getting there spent two days over the weekend doing just that
Day One Carambolin Lake
This is a spot recommended by most people so we set of at 6-00 and it took 45 minutes to get there on arriving the driver spoke to a local who said that he would give me some information on watching the lake and fields which was very useful. So I set of and like everyone says the number of purple swamp hens is just amazing just scanning from where we had parked I saw bronzed winged jacanas, little egret, great white egret, intermediate egret, moorhen, Indian pond heron, I then walked down the east side of the lake where I added Purple Heron, White breasted Kingfisher, Common Kingfisher, Pheasant tailed jacanas, Stork Billed Kingfisher, I then spent some time getting to grips with Swallows and martins, barbets and minvets then it was off to scan the fields for Small Pratincole which I found after a short time birds of prey included , Brahminy Kite, Black Kite, Shrika, then at 11-00 hrs it was time to go back as the heat of the day makes it impossible to continue birding

Day Two
Today decided to go to Baga where from the information I had sounded good and it was there is a marsh behind one of the hotels as we could not see how to get to it the driver asked and they let me in so I spent 2 hours birding from the patio area first bird seen was Indian Pond Heron have a picture of it then it was back to sorting out minvets and barbets also had Wooly Necked Stork, black Kite, Brahminy Kite, Purple Heron, and then a White Bellied Sea Eagle put in a appearance on the wires there where Black Drongos, green Bee-eater, then a couple of dogs run across the marsh and put up a bird I was hoping to see Great Painted Snipe and there where a few birds I still need to Identify, after leaving the hotel grounds I headed for the area by the football pitches where I had more barbets and a few of the bulbuls and again because of the heat it was back to my room and the comfort of the fan.

No comments: