Monday, April 5, 2010

4th April 2010 Goa

Santa Cruz Paddy Fields

This is a area that I like always seem to turn up a few different birds so far arrived at 07-30 set of down the path under the shade of the palm trees this shade is very welcome a bit later as the sun comes up

First bird I saw was a Glossy Ibis by the time I had my scope set up it had flown but still plenty of Egrets and Indian pond Heron to watch, I then moved a bit further down the path where there is a area of small pools in the fields waders seen Ringed Plover, Redshank, Greenshank, 5 Temminck’s Stints, Ruff plus in the trees Common Myna other birds included Thick billed Crow, House Crow there was a good thermal of Kites Black & Brahminy I then continued to he spot that I normally turn back at but decided to continue on I walked for another half hour nearly reaching the highway where I had superb views of a Black Kite sitting on a post as I passed a small pool area I flushed a Slaty -Breasted Rail I then returned along the path and scanned the pools on my return where I found Wood Sandpiper I then returned to the car and watched the fields the other side of the road here I had Grey Heron, Purple Heron, Bronzed Winged Jacana, Red Rumped Swallow, White Breasted Kingfisher, Blue Tailed Bee Eater, Bay Backed Shrike.

We then tried to find the creek with no luck did not have the map with me think I know where to go next time, We drove through Santa Cruz and found a spot that looked like it might be worth a look I spent the next hour getting to grips with some of the small birds witch included Paddyfield Pipit, Malabar Lark, Richards Pipit, Ashy Crowned Sparrow Lark, baya Weaver, Blue Tailed Bee Eater, Green Bee eater, Greater Short Toed Lark, White Breasted Drongo, also another very close Black Kite (no photos as still have a problem with camera) this has now been sorted changed some of the settings so hoping to get some video shots on the way back had Stork Billed Kingfisher, White Breasted Kingfisher, Black Drongo, Long Tailed Shrike

This evening I took a ride around the north of Anjuna found a small reservoir where I had Red Wattled Plover, Thick Billed Crow, Great Coucal plus a few birds calling that I still need to identify so ending another birding day in Goa

1 comment:

Eagleseagles said...

Another good birding day...hopeful camera works soon for you.