Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Cornwall


Day one
Carbis bay / St Ives
After a trying journey yesterday bit of a lay in today after a first class breakfast full English I set of for St Ives Head I headed for Carbis beach then took the coast path to St Ives on the walk down to the beach I had 2 Ravens fly over head the walk to the head took a hour and a half I arrived at 10 30 this is the start of a 4 and a half hour sea watch the first bird I saw was a Whimbrel at first not a lot doing but it normally take about half hour to get you eye in then things started moving a bit, plenty of Gannets and Manx Shearwaters after a short time had Balearic Shearwater and one Bonxie at 12 30 it was time for a short break for Coffee (think that is what they called it) and a Cornish Pasty then back to the sea watch at about 13 30 there was a lot of birds moving through this is when I had my lifer GREAT SHEARWATER had about 20 Manx go through and this bird was behind them the bigger sixe put me onto it then had great views as it went by this was followed by some Sooty Shearwaters and a Sabin’s Gull with plenty more Gannets and Manx Shearwaters then at about 2 15 it went quite again I was then talking to another birder when we had a Little Gull flying around the bay, then when I was packing up to leave at 3 o’clock I found a Basking Shark so ended a good sea watch, I then got the train back to Carbis Bay where I had seen the Shark and spent another hour Sea Watching more Gannets Manx Shearwaters and now I found the 2 Basking Sharks that had been seen earlier today so ended a good days sea watching. Will see what the weather is doing tomorrow before I decided where to go still some good birds to see

3 comments:

Eagleseagles said...

Great Shear a brilliant bird- one I till need for UK glad you saw the bakings they are impressive- pretty good cast as well!

C

Eagleseagles said...

still .......basking

Kite1035 said...

I am lets see what the rest of the week brings