Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Cornwall


Day Two

Halye Estuary (Pec or not to Pec)

After another full English breakfast decided to have a look at the Hayle Estuary today after a look at the pager I got the train to Hayle on arriving I headed straight for copperhouse creek where there had been seen a Pectoral Sandpiper for the past four days arrived at 10 30 no sign of the Pec so set up the scope and waited spent the next 2 and a half hours scanning the end of the creek with no luck (the bird was reported at 10 to 12 from the spot I was standing at no idea who put it out or see it ) some of the birds seen included Knot, Curlew Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, Curlew , Whimbrel, Black Tailed Godwit, a selection of Gulls but no Pec at 1 o’clock walk along the north side of the creek and had a coffee only new wader for the day was oystercatcher then headed back to the east end but still no luck< Hear I got talking to another birder who said he was going to have a look near the Levant salting I said that it was to far to walk so I would stay where I was he then said he would give me a lift so of we set to the spot that one of the local birders said was the best place to park on arriving we crossed the road to the bridge and I set up my scope then a birder who was already there said he just had a sandpiper drop in and could I have a look through the scope and it was on the edge of some foliage and was not that easy to see we were all debating on what it could be it then came in to the open and  you could see that it was in fact the bird I had just spent the past 4 plus hours looking for yes at last the Pec Sandpiper so well worth the wait did get some useful information on how to work the Estuary for future reference so ended a very good days birding  

1 comment:

Eagleseagles said...

Brill - after all that work u deserved the Pec! Good of the other birder to give you a lift!